Reports to: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Classification: Exempt Division: Santa Ana
Date: March 2019
The Candidate will play an essential role in the launch of the company’s new line of lithium-ion batteries, supporting the transition from the pre-production low volume phase to mass production.
The position requires a very good understanding of lithium-ion battery design and construction, including theoretical electrical engineering knowledge applied to the technology and previous work experience in the field.
The candidate will be working with the development engineering team to improve and finalize the battery design, establishing the manufacturing processes required and designing/selecting the manufacturing and EOL testing equipment required for manufacturing high quality batteries in the most safe and cost effective way. Key focus will be automated cell bonding (welding) and glue dispensing, overall battery assembly, cycling and EOL testing methods.
The position requires active participation in small and large projects developing process and technical specifications for equipment, operator and maintenance work instructions, executing capability confirmation for existing and new equipment, and manage launch and production documentation such as DFAM, Process Flow Charts, PFMEA, and Control Plans.
· Support New Product Development activities from concept to ramp up production, with primary focus on designing and implementing new manufacturing equipment and processes for the launch of our lithium-ion battery assembly lines.
· Provide direction on manufacturing processes, costing, manufacturability changes, equipment selection, capacity analysis & quality.
· Responsible for engineering prototype builds, pilot production and production.
· Responsible for automated cell bonding (welding) and glue dispensing, overall battery assembly, cycling and EOL testing methods.
· Develop phase gate product release manufacturing documentation required to support production builds, including (work instructions, Statistical Process Control (SPC) targets, Gauge R & R and other manufacturing related documentation.
· Own PFMEA activities to ensure process shortcomings are identified and addressed.
· Support continuous improvement manufacturing engineering activities to achieve and exceed quality targets.
· Support BOM verification and product release activities.
· Participate in Product Design reviews to ensure manufacturability of products.
· Assist plant level safety, environmental, and quality assurance personnel. Ensure that all assembly processes and equipment meet all safety, environmental, quality and engineering requirements.
· Use statistical techniques as a tool to improve existing processes and define new processes
· Develop best practices, routines and innovative solutions for improvement of production rates, product quality and safety performance.
· Communicate with colleagues and staff employees to align project focus and ensure project success.
· Travel to supplier sites, customer sites and other company plants as needed, developing new equipment and processes, performing equipment acceptance and qualification, and represent the company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- BS in Engineering or Material Science.
- Minimum 2 years working in Li-Ion battery manufacturing.
- Must be able to demonstrate competency in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
- PLC and LabVIEW programming experience and demonstrated assembly automation competency.
- Working knowledge of DFM, Lean manufacturing, phase gate product release process and Six Sigma Principles.
- Experience working with AutoCAD, Solidworks, Microsoft Office applications.
- Capability Analysis / Statistical software experience.
- · Excellent emotional intelligence (EI), written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, as well as good negotiation and presentation skills.
- Experience in designing and maintaining automation and tooling.
- · Ability to drive vehicles and travel by airplane.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
This position performs some sedentary office work and requires the ability to move throughout the building to interact with employees/vendors. The position answers telephone calls, bends, reaches and pushes and pulls file drawers. This position uses a computer terminal to access, input and retrieve data. Finger dexterity may be required to operate a computer keyboard and calculator. This position may be required to lift up to 50lbs.
Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.